Hulme Hall Medical Group

Dr. Joanna Davie, Dr. Anna Webster, Dr. Brian Byrne,
Ed Cotton, DR Richard Nurcombe
Partnership Manager
Joanne Revell


How to make a complaint




Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise with the person concerned and this may be the approach you try first.

Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, this helps us to establish what happened more easily.  In any event, this should be:

Within 12 months of the incident.

If you are a registered patient you can complain about your own care.  You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority.




We look to settle complaints as soon as possible.

We will acknowledge receipt within 3 working days, and aim to have looked into the matter within 10 working days.  You may then receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve the issue.  If the matter is likely to take longer than this we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses.

When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this, and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you would like to do so.

When the investigations are complete your complaint will be determined and a final response sent to you.

Where your complaint involves more than one organisation e.g. (social services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one co-ordinated reply.  We may need your consent to do this.  Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.

The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.




We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality.  If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they are unhappy with their treatment and that we can deal with someone else about it.

A Third Party Authority Form which contains a suitable authority for the patient to sign to enable the complaint to proceed is available from the Practice Manager.

 Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident it may still be possible to deal with the complaint.  Please provide the precise details of the circumstances which prevent this in your covering letter.

Please note that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above apply.



You have the right to approach the Ombudsman.  The contact details are:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower


NHS England
NHS Commissioning Board
PO Box 16738
B97 9PT
Phone:  0300 311 22 33 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, excluding English Bank Holidays). 


Please visit our practice website for more information